Why is Website Hosting Important?
Once you’ve built your website, you need a hosting provider to make it available on the internet were customers can find you. The internet is 24/7/365 days a year, and your business success can depend heavily on a reliable internet connection. Website hosting is one of those choices in life that is better made with quality and reliability of service of paramount consideration as opposed to cost.
Some Questions to Ask Before Signing Up
Is There Phone Support?
When problems occur, can I call and talk to someone 24/7 to resolve the issue? (Many hosting companies provide knowledge bases, email ticketing systems, and sometimes live chat support. However, when your website is down and fast help is required, you may find that direct access to a live technition by phone is invaluable.)
Is The Hosting Plan Scalable?
Scalable Web Hosting is a hosting platform that can support increased traffic to your site as your business grows. This support includes increased data storage, increased processing power, and transmission of larger amounts of information. Scalability is a convenience for growing businesses that want to stay with the hosting provider they have become familiar with and grown to trust.
Are Backups Included Or Do They Cost Extra? How Often Is My Site Backed Up?
Having Backups of your website is so important, and a resource that may not fully be appreciated until one is needed. If your site is not managed by a web professional who guarantees site backups, and you are not comfortable performing them yourself, relying on your hosting provider for backups is a good idea. Make sure to ask your web host the following:
- COVERAGE – Will they backup your entire site? A WordPress site consists of both files and database(s).
- FREQUENCY – How often will they backup your site? Daily, weekly, monthly, etc.? Also how old is the oldest backup they will keep at any given point in time?
- STORAGE – Will the backups be stored on a different server than your site? If your website is exposed to a security threat and your backups are stored on the same server, then the backsups may also be corrupted.
- RESTORE – When something goes wrong with your website, restoring it to a backup may be your only solution. Make sure your web host explains to how you can restore your site in the event you need to.
- COST – Is the cost for making backups included with your hosting plan, and if not what is the extra cost?
Are Email Accounts Included? If Not, How Much Extra Will Each Email Account Cost?
Find out if your hosting plan includes email hosting features if you want email accounts with your domain (for example “[email protected]”). If so, how many email accounts will your plan allow? If email hosting costs extra, then how much for each account?
Is An SSL Certificate Included? If Not, How Much Extra Will The SSL Cost?
SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) is standard technology for securing an internet connection in order to safeguard information transmitted between the site and people visiting the site. Using an SSL certificate helps to prevent criminals from accessing private data such as your contact and credit card information when you provide it on a website. You know a website is secured by an SSL certificate when you see HTTPS (Hyper Text Transfer Protocol Secure) in the URL. Also, Google is now giving a small SEO ranking boost to sites using SSL; on sites not using SSL, Google displays a warning next to the site URL so visitors know that sharing their personal information is at their own risk.